Archive for July 11, 2010
The tomatoes are coming in fast, while there’s only three peppers out there now. They are so sweet I can just eat these tomatoes like fruit (yes they are fruit). Also great with a little olive oil, salt, black pepper, and basil.
When I plucked the purple pepper last week, it didn’t developed seeds yet. So maybe I was a little impatient, tho after plucking it started producing more buds. The pepper was very fruity, a little tart but not bitter in any way. I made a pasta salad with the first harvest.
Pasta salad with herb infused oil
- 2 1/2 cups fusilli pasta (cooked to desired texture in salted water)
- 1 small onion (sliced thinly and rinsed)
- 1 small bell pepper (diced)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (halved)
- small bunch of basil (torn)
- small bunch of thyme (or a few sprigs of rosemary)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1/3 (to 1/2) cup olive oil
- 1 large lemon (zested then juiced)
- small can of kippered herring or tuna or sardines (optional, you can also add cooked lentils or beans instead)
- salt and black pepper
Heat up the olive oil over medium low heat with the thyme (either tied and remove later or strip the leaves into the oil), the basil torn into small pieces, and the crushed garlic. Simmer for a few minutes till it starts to smell fragrant and before the garlic turns dark . Put the pasta and everything into a large bowl, pour the oil and lemon juice (and zest) on top, toss together then salt and pepper to taste.